The Red Bulls Academy, Training Programs follow a researched and proven approach to player development. The following information introduces each one of our curriculums, operating philosophy and the methods and structure that are used to deliver the session. Click below to watch the curriculum in action:
To offer unparalleled support and education to the youth soccer community.
Create a FUN and CHALLENGING environment where players have the opportunity to LEARN.
Player Development Rationale
The Red Bulls Academy operate a building block approach to PlayerDevelopment. At a young age mastery of the ball is vital for a child’s future development. Players follow a path focused on technique and skill development, as competency increases, tactical elements are introduced. Within each building block, an extensive curriculum is offered. The following diagram illustrates the New York Red Bulls ‘Building Blocks of Player Development’.
Coaching Methodology - How we teach
The Red Bulls Academy Coaching staff focuses on three methods to deliver the building blocks of player development
A description of each method is offered in the table below:
- Players need to develop a motivation and desire to work hard during training sessions and during their own time away from structured sessions.
- Every player - coach interaction serves as an opportunity to develop a passion and love for the game
- In order for a player’s ability to improve, they require accurate and concise information, combined with specific and immediate individual feedback.
- An adaptive coaching style is used to ensure that every player is developed during the training session; the objective is to create players who are independent thinkers.
- Repetition and deliberate practice is the key to learning. To master new skills players need to receive a high frequency of realistic situations that offer maximum ball contact.
- Players must be challenged to work at a high intensity that replicates a game environment.
All New York Red Bulls training sessions follow a deliberate format; the following table provides an overview of
howa typical session would be structured.
|% of time
- Main focus is to maximize ball contact
- One ball per player to develop skill mastery
- Focus on one main theme per session
- Technical application to skill mastery
- Techniques introduced on a scale from non-opposed
to fully opposed
- Small sided group play
- Conditions added to reinforce the application of skill
- Activities to goal with many attacking and defending opportunities
- Session ends with a competitive scrimmage
- Review of daily topic and homework assignment
For more information:
Download PDF Flyer